Attorney, Managing Partner
- BA, Oral Roberts University
- J.D., O.W. Coburn School of Law at Oral Roberts University
- Virginia State Bar
- US Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eight Circuit Court of Appeals
Areas of Focus:
- Business planning and succession
- Estate planning
- Asset protection
- Commercial transactions
- Member, Hampton Roads Estate Planning Council
- Member, Executive Board of Directors, TowneBank Chesapeake
- Member, Board of Directors, Chesapeake Regional Health Foundation
- Member, Executive Committee Chesapeake Regional Health Foundation Board of Directors
- Co-Chairman, Chesapeake Regional Health Foundation Gala
- Member, Wealth Counsel – nationwide organization of attorneys who specialize in estate and asset protection planning and business succession
- Member, Board of Directors, Chesapeake Rotary, Paul Harris Fellow
- Member, Executive Board, Chesapeake Rotary Club Wine Festival
- Member, Board of Directors, Chesapeake Rotary Foundation
- Member, Finance Committee at my local church
When I left for college, I initially intended to go into the FBI, but during my undergraduate degree, I discovered I enjoyed the challenge of dealing with complex situations – which led me to law. During my 34 years of practicing law I have participated in several high-profile constitutional cases in the federal and state court systems across the United States. In 1989 I founded what is now Davis Law Group, P.C. to focus on the needs of business owners and their families. While doing this, I created The Family Legacy Process ©, a unique system designed to provide strategies and solutions for clients to protect their family values, wealth and transfer personal and business assets. Today Davis Law Group is a law firm that is still firmly rooted in helping individuals find solutions to often complex legal issues involving asset protection, estate planning and administration, commercial transactions, real estate, or civil disputes.
My grandfather had a tremendous influence on me. He was a wheat farmer in Kansas and I had the privilege of living with him and my grandmother and working on the farm for a short time as a young teenager, and I learned a lot from him during that time. He didn’t speak much, so when he did – you listened. He was a hard worker, resourceful (if something broke, he fixed it with whatever was on hand), he always had a solution – there was no such thing as ‘it can’t be done’! He was a man of character and integrity – the man everyone in the neighborhood went to if they had a problem. He also taught me a lot about my faith in God by the way he lived his life, not just by what he said.
Favorite thing about my job:
I enjoy working with people and helping them achieve their objectives and goals. I also enjoy providing common sense solutions to difficult situations and making complex legal issues easy to understand.
In my spare time:
I enjoy biking (yes, with spandex), hunting, reading nonfiction, chess, traveling and eating at Italian restaurants with my wife, Cheryl. I also enjoy spending time with my four children and seven grandchildren.